MTAA chief executive Susi Tegen has resigned for health reasons.
The association announced Ms Tegen's resignation late yesterday, saying she informed the Board of her decision on Sunday.
"The Board has accepted her decision and understands this is a difficult time for Ms Tegen but we fully support her decision to look after her own health," said MTAA in a statement.
Chairman and managing director of Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices, Gavin Fox-Smith, said: “We are very confident the MTAA is now in a better position because of Ms Tegen’s tireless efforts, but from the MTAA Boards perspective it will be business as usual.
"We have a robust governance process in place and the Board in the coming weeks will begin the process to recruit a new Chief Executive."
Ms Tegen's resignation comes at a pivotal time as Health Minister Sussan Ley works to reform the private health insurance sector, including the pricing of medical devices.
The minister has pushed the makers of medical devices to accept price driven reforms. Reform has been delayed but does appear inevitable given ongoing discussions and the recent appointment of longstanding PBAC member Professor Terry Campbell to lead the revamped Prostheses List Advisory Committee.
The resignation also came on the day The Australian reported details of a meeting held earlier this year during which, it is claimed, Ms Tegen announced receiving a text message from a member of Cabinet's Expenditure Review Committee confirming Minister Ley's plan to reform the pricing of prostheses. MTAA denied the claim. Ms Tegen's resignation and its timing are unrelated to the claim.
MTAA announced Andrea Kunca, director of policy and access, and Allison Fox, director of business operations, will act as co-lead of the association pending the appointment of a permanent chief executive.